Search This Blog

Friday 18 April 2014

OMG! Adoratabbies! *swoon*

There are people out there who, despite not being able to help directly, try really hard to do the right thing.  There is a wonderful family in Hamilton who, finding an abandoned, very pregnant cat in their townhouse complex, took her in.  Instead of dumping her at animal control (which is not where we want them to end up), they decided to put the word out in the best way they knew how to find her a safe place to be.  Kijiji.

On the rescue groups on social media, these ads are often shared.  We do our best to scoop the cats and kittens and get them into programs before they are sent to potentially questionable circumstances, or, in some cases, dark and horrible fates (some as snake food, some for breeding, some for even worse things - people can be messed up).  I saw the photos and the ad, but I noticed something very important.  This family made it VERY clear in their ad that they would NOT allow this cat to go just anywhere.  They had a list of questions they wanted answers, and were trying to do as much as they could to guarantee Mama cat went to a SAFE, GOOD place.  That I really liked.  So, I contacted them, explained that I worked in rescue and that we wanted to help Mama cat through her delivery, and help her and the kittens find loving, responsible forever homes after that.  They were THRILLED, this was just what they were looking for, and so they arranged for me to come pick up Mama later that week and get her into the program.

"Sage" - Mama rescued by wonderful family, and her three little babies minutes after birth.

A few days later, I received a text message from the wife of this lovely family.  She said that there were other stray, semi-feral, and dumped cats in the area (their area is particularly bad for people moving and dumping cats before they move), and would I maybe be able to find a place for them too?  I wasn't really prepared and wasn't sure if the rescue I work with could take them all, so I told her I would do my best and let her know.  I wasn't going to assume Lori had capacity (goodness knows the woman is already a saint and does what she can, but is extremely reasonable too), so I figured I'd check with her then ask around and see if any other rescues would take them.  They cats were in this family's home (temporarily) and interacting with them, it was pretty safe to assume they would be social and easy to adopt.  There were two tabby brothers, and an older orange tabby male.  Ok, I would see what I could do.

I talked to Lori, and she was happy to take Mama, but suggested that another rescue could take the other three.  Since they seemed like quick "flips", so to speak, it made sense to spread them out.  Ok, great.  The other rescue made arrangements with me to drop the boys off to a vet once I picked them up, so I agreed, let the family know I was taking everyone, and went along my merry way.

I arrived to pick up the cats, four carriers it was rather an ordeal, but the lovely family was happy I was there and taking everyone, and they promised to let me know if any more cats needed help.  These people are amazing, and I wish there were more like them in the world.  Everyone was loaded up and heading home.  The Mama to stay in my house and give birth, and the boys to move on to the other rescue.  They were to spend overnight at my place, to be dropped off the next day.

The boys were a touch skittish, but that was to be expected, considering the circumstances.  Despite a little nervousness, they all seemed friendly, so in the morning I dropped them off and went home to prepare to play midwife....

The rescue who took the tabbies (who are all absolutely ADORABLE) got them into their foster home after having them fixed and vaccinated.  All seemed well.. except...

A few weeks later I get a message from the head of the rescue.  She's unsure what to do.  The orange tabby was fine and got adopted, but the brother tabbies (I dubbed them "Adoratabbies" in my head - named Coby and Darby), weren't doing well, wouldn't let themselves be picked up, would not allow themselves to be pet or approached.  They needed work and they weren't going to be able to stay with her.  I didn't know what to say, I felt terrible, but I was sure they were fine.  I didn't want to inconvenience this lady any more than I had to, so I offered to take the boys back.  She handed them back lock, stock and barrel, and suddenly I have two lovely little cats who aren't even wanted by a rescue.  What the hell is going on?  And I already have my hands full!  Ahh well, in rescue sometimes you have to go with the flow and see where it takes you...

The "Adoratabbies", Coby and Darby

I let the boys out into "General population" with my resident cats.  They were healthy, vaccinated, and whatnot, and really, there was no reason not to.  They came here and seemed fine... not really nervous at all.  They would run a few feet if you approached quickly and high up, but that's fairly normal, especially for semi-feral or cats who've been outside surviving on their own.  Outside, not being cautious means being dead.  We all just slowed things down, let them come to us, but really, there was no hesitation.  The Adoratabbies were ABSOLUTE lovebugs!  Baffled, not sure how they could be the polar opposite of the story I was told, I shook my head and carried on.

I decided we would keep the Adoratabbies for a little while, get them used to dogs, kids, chaos, and caphcony, make sure they would be really solid no matter where they went.  Get to know them really well so we could know what kind of home they'd thrive in.  Basically give them the best chance for adoption we possibly could.  They quickly became household favorites, and we argued amongst ourselves a few times out of keeping them.  It would have been easy, they are LOVELY, but we just couldn't do it.  These guys deserved to shine in their own home.   Ok, so then what to do?  They aren't "sponsored" by a rescue.  They are basically ours.  Already fixed and vaccinated, thanks so much to the original rescue, so that was a bonus, but still...

Darby, the brains of the Operation.  Lovebug extraordinaire.

Lori to the rescue!  I let her know about the boys and their situation.  She agreed to take them on and help me to get them adopted.  Bless her, she's just an angel amongst women!  We were all so excited she was going to help us, so we set about the business of getting them used to things like a caged environment (in the store to meet potential adopters), and to meeting new people, reacting well to noise, etc.  We got them nice and solid, and sent them off to the store to meet their new people!

Coby, the "Beefcake".  That circle on his muzzle is adorable!

We took them to an adoption event, which was very overwhelming for them.  Of course, before they went, they were microchipped at the vet (which is a rather unpleasant experience, though  not horrible, it doesn't make for happy go lucky kitties).  They did ok, but once they were moved to a store they settled down some more.  I admit to being nervous about how they would react to being in the cage in the big scary store... but I'm proud of how they did.  I just saw the news that Darby was adopted into a forever home, joining another cat from NCWL (YAY!!!), but Coby is still awaiting his forever home.  In this adorable duo, Darby was the brains, while Coby was the braun.  I called him "beefcake" because that's just how he struck me.  This little sweetiepie really deserves a home, though, so I'm hoping _that_ person shows up this weekend to adopt him.  In the meantime, I'm going to shout it from the rooftops and make sure he finds a home.  He is awesome and deserves it.   This is why we rescue.  Hope is what it's all about!

No comments:

Post a Comment